Chorizo Egg Casserole
Not too many weekends go by without an overnight visitor. We always have guests and I absolutely love it. Part of what I love is making breakfast for everyone. There’s something about gathering around the table and sharing last night’s stories or the current day’s plans.
An egg casserole is great because you can make it the night before and keep in the fridge overnight. One of my favorites is this chorizo egg casserole. It wasn’t til recently that I started cooking with chorizo – it’s so flavorful so don’t be afraid to try it out. In fact, this recipe really doesn’t need any additional seasonings (I don’t add any salt…but I do add some extra crushed red pepper, black pepper & garlic but that’s just my preference). I usually use pork chorizo but beef would be tasty, too.
Regarding the bread, sourdough would be my preference. I don’t always have that so whole wheat or multigrain are an easy substitute (you really can’t tell the difference). Some people believe the bread needs to be cubed…not necessary in my opinion; I never do that. I also do not remove the ends.
A few other recipe notes: the amount and type of cheese can be adjusted to your taste preferences (or what’s on-hand). Cover the casserole with foil for the first 35 min of baking. Sometimes it will bubble up towards the end of baking. If it does, simply cut some slits with a knife. Like most of my egg casseroles, I serve this one with salsa. I also sprinkle with some fresh parsley for that little bit of green & eye appeal.
10 oz chorizo sausage
1 red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
5 slices bread (enough for 1 layer in pan)
9 eggs (sub some egg whites, if desired)
2 cups skim milk
salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and parsley, to taste
sharp cheddar cheese, to taste
Salsa, to taste
- Grease 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place a single layer of bread along bottom of pan; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook chorizo sausage. After a couple minutes, add red pepper & onion and cook until meat & veggies are cooked through (about 7 min). Spread chorizo, onion & red pepper mixture on top of bread.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs & milk in a separate bowl. Pour on top of chorizo/bread. Season to taste & sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- Cover with foil & cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 – 50 min. (Remove foil when 10 min is remaining)
- Serve with salsa.
Printer-friendly recipe here Chorizo Egg Casserole
Don’t be alarmed by the smaller pan seen in the image above; the above recipe fits perfectly in a 9×13 pan. (Due to my recent oven issues, I had to adjust the recipe & cook this in my toaster oven…it worked surprisingly well!)