Spinach & Pepperoni Stromboli
Stromboli. Pronounced “delicious scrambled eggs covered in gooey cheese wrapped in toasty bread.”
For many, Saturdays are meant for sleeping in, enjoying a cup of coffee, maybe doing some yard work but probably not; just relaxing. Sounds delightful.
For me, it’s still a chug your coffee day but also thank-goodness-daddy-is-home day, which means I can make a real breakfast.
Strombolis are easy to make:
- Scramble eggs. Check.
- Roll eggs in bread & bake. Check.
- Eat. Check.
Strombolis never go to waste…although they do make great leftovers.
I love the flavor the pepperoni brings to the table. And, I’ve been tossing spinach in everything I can.
6 -7 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
6-8 thin slices of sandwich-style pepperoni, roughly chopped
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 refrigerated pizza dough
4 slices of American cheese
1/2 cup Italian shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk & seasonings. Stir in pepperoni & spinach.
- Heat a medium-large skillet to medium & coat with nonstick cooking spray. Add egg mixture; cook & stir until eggs are mostly scrambled, about 8 min. Remove from heat.
- Roll pizza dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Flatten dough so it makes a nice rectangle. Place 4 cheese slices along the center of the dough; spread scrambled eggs on top of cheese. Sprinkle top of eggs with Italian cheese. Seal the ends of the dough to make a roll.
- Bake 20 min or until top is nicely browned. Serve with salsa or pizza sauce, if desired.
A couple tips: brush with an egg wash to get the nice brown toasty top! To reheat leftovers, microwave until warm and then place in toaster oven for a min or two!